Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The August Countdown . . .

August is a big month for me:
  • I'm writing a haiku-a-day for the special 31 Different NaHaiWriMo Promters for August 2012. This I'm thoroughly enjoying. I haven't participated through the NaHaiWriMo Community Facebook page since my writing buddy Cara Holman was a guest prompter back in May 2011. It's great connecting up with lots of new-to-me haiku writers, seeing how others approach each day's prompt, and it's keeping my haiku mind active! If you're not on Facebook then feel free to follow along with me here, posting your haiku for the prompts in the comments section of the relevant day.

  • Two of my photo haiga have been featured on Kathy Nguyen's August Blog Bash 2012, with commentary. See the August 13th post and write-up here. Kathy is hosting writers and artists of all kinds this month at her Live Journal Origami Lotus Poetry. I believe there are still places left, so check out how you could be involved here. All participants receive a free gift for taking part, as well as going into the draw to win the Snapshot Press 2013 Haiku Calendar. 

  • I entered my first kukai contests this month: Caribbean Kigo Kukai and Sketchbook Kukai. I've been wanting to do this for some time, and finally got myself organised to give it a go. If kukai is new to you, then take a look at this article by Cara Holamn, written especially for Swimming in Lines of Haiku in 2009. It will give you all the links and info you need to get started.

  • I'm currently writing rengay and tanka sequences with two of my American contemporaries. The tanka sequences are new for me and I'm revealing in working more closely with this form, and exploring writing tanka on different topics. Who knows where it will lead...

  • And the best reason that August is a big month for me... I will finally finish my maintenance treatment for leukaemia! :) I've almost reached the end of two long years, and I'm still in remission. Yes! Thanks to everyone who has supported me along the way. It's been a tough ride at times, and all the poetry has kept me going. I hope you enjoy your August!

August 2012 - Kirsten's Calendar of Haiku & Photography

Above is the August page of the calendar I made for my family. The photo was taken at about this time of year (almost spring!) from Papamoa Beach, looking towards Mt Maunganui, in 2009. The haiku has appeared in a few different forms in a few different places. The closest version to the above was published in the taste of nashi: New Zealand Haiku. (Click on image to enlarge.)


2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful haiga, your calendar page - simply wonderful in every way.

    ReplyDelete